Friday, April 16, 2010

beautiful.....

so tonight I went to an event at the Alberta School for the Deaf for my ASL class. It was a movie about a deaf man (Andy) who was plagued by his past, and who had to cope with ignorant people (both deaf and hearing) before he met a kind, sweet woman (Mary) who made the effort to get to know him, understand him, and reach out to him. Although it was a little slow at the beginning, I really enjoyed how Mary was so patient with him, and gave him space when he needed it, but pushed him to open up when he needed that also. In one part of the movie, they went to church where the priest was talking about "The Prodigal Son". One thing that he mentioned was that it should have been named "The Forgiving Father", which stuck a chord with me. I think that we sometimes see ourselves as the wayward child, going through the experience of facing our mistakes, our problems, and humbling ourselves before those we love. But, have we really put ourselves in the position of the parent? We don't necessarily need to be a mother or father, but have we so openly welcomed someone back into our lives after past transgressions, or fault, being willing to forgive unconditionally? I struggle with that. It's difficult to forgive OR forget, nevermind forgive AND forget. At least with me, it is. Wounds take time to heal, but I suppose it's not something that will happen without work on my part. Perhaps humility is a struggle for me as pride is a struggle.
Anyway, there was a happy ending to the movie, and it made me remember why I love what I'm doing. Slowly, life seems to be falling into place. :)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

That's a really neat perspective that I never thought of from the father's perspective instead of from our personal perspective as the wayward child. Good insights smartie pants.