Wednesday, June 8, 2011

to Oprah, or not to Oprah?

so I've been watching Oprah pretty religiously this last season (her final season) and I find myself in deep thought over a number of different topics (which I'll probably share as the re-runs of her episodes are aired). I haven't always agreed with her point of view on some things (will share later), but overall I think she is a powerful influence of good in the world.
The re-run yesterday was her interview with the Judds. It was so refreshing to listen to Wynonna speak, because she was so honest and truthful in everything she was saying; from her ex-husband, to her own personal struggles, to her relationship with her mom. It got me thinking about how I portray myself and even see myself. I used to think that I needed to show people that I was happy all the time, how Hazel is the perfect little girl, how I have everything together, and how I'm so confident in everything I do. That is SO exhausting, even thinking about it makes me tired! Honestly, I've had moments when I've been depressed, more now than before, Hazel hasn't always made me happy, I really DON'T have everything together (sometimes it takes real motivation to do the dishes...), and I'm not as confident as I'd like to be. However, in saying this I feel a burden lift from my shoulders. I don't know about anyone else, but keeping up "false pretenses" is really exhausting. I have felt that I haven't been able to fully be myself around some people, and that's been difficult. I suppose it's time for a change, right?
Anyway, I think Oprah is great. No one is perfect, but I've found a lot of inspiration and motivation to be better by having her show be a part of my life. As someone who has also struggled with weight issues, I think she's beautiful. I'm sure that as I watch re-runs of her farewell season, I'll have more to say about her and the topics she addresses. :) love her or not, she is one of the biggest influential people of our time. and I love her. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I agree, to disagree with Oprah, but also think she is a genuinely good person who has done some amazing things. Just so you know, no one expects you to be perfect, you can just be you and that is enough. I have seen you during highs and lows and still love you and I am sure all would say the same. Anyone who doesn't, you can unfriend on facebook! HUGS, being a mommy isn't easy,even when you waited and wished for it so long. it's ok.