Saturday, April 14, 2012

2 to 1

so, for 3 years we had both Buddy and Sugar, brother and sister, black lab/collies, and a welcomed part of our family. I'm sure that there were some that questioned what we were doing getting TWO dogs at once :) Trust me, there were days when I thought the same thing! 

Anyway, once Hazel came into the picture, I started feeling a little overwhelmed with having the dogs as well. We were still kind of in the process of training them, and with Buddy being the difficult one, Sugar would sometimes feed off of him. It made for some pretty frustrating days!

Anyway, last month we decided to put both dogs up on Kijiji, just to see if anyone was interested. I figured that having two kids plus the two dogs would be too much for me, so we planned on at least finding a good home for Buddy, and see how things went with Sugar. We ended up finding a family of 5 who lived on an acreage who were interested in Buddy. So, the dad and his one daughter came in to town to see Buddy, and within an hour he had a new home. We felt really good about where he was going, and know that he's getting the attention that he needs. 

Sugar took about a week to adjust to being here by herself, but she's been great! She's more calm, and definitly more obedient (she always was the better listener!). I love having her around, so she's not going anywhere. I don't regret getting a dog, even two. It's been a great learning experience, and I think there'll be positive results having our kids around Sugar.

Having said that, I'm not looking forward to cleaning our back yard after a winter of having two dogs back there! (good thing Quenton volunteered for the job!!!)

1 comment:

Amy said...

looks like a win-win for all of you! Everyone will be happier. I am glad that decision went so smoothly. My kids say we should have adopted all Daisy's siblings and had 8 puppies and I tell them they are Ka-Razy!!